So you’ve bought a road bike and you’re keen to join the peloton?
Kangaroo Point Cycling Club has introduced a novice riding program known as our Cycle Skills Course to encourage new and recent starters in the sport of cycling. This program will help you develop your understanding of bicycle handling, basic maintenance, general cycling skills and introduce you to our club social rides.
There is a great deal written (and quite a bit that’s unwritten) about riding as a group. Our program is designed to help you reach a point where you can safely and confidently join the peloton and ride our Sunday rides as well as other ‘shop rides’ and social groups who ride together regularly.
The Cycle Skills Course runs over four Sundays and is offered twice each year. Our next course commences on Sunday 17th March at Murarrie Recreation Ground, Wynnum Rd, Murarrie.
- Session one - Sunday 17th March, 2.30 - 4.30pm
- Session two - Sunday 24th March, 2.30 – 4.30pm
- Easter break - Sunday 31st March Easter Sunday (the novice program will not run on this day)
- Session three - Sunday 7th April, 2.30 – 4.30pm
- Session four - Sunday 14th April, 2.30 – 4.30pm
WHO CAN ATTEND?
Anyone who can ride a bicycle, is over 18, has their own equipment, and can get themselves to Murarrie Recreation Ground is welcome. However, the program is specifically aimed at novice riders who would like to join our social rides so:
- Our Cycle Skills Course includes a Silver Membership to the Kangaroo Point Cycling Club. The Silver Membership provides you a number of privileges including: insurance, training and mentoring, eligibility to wear club clothing, the opportunity to ride with an active riding group. (Please note that the Silver membership does not include a Racing Licence, but if that's something you're interested in please let us know!)
- Our Cycle Skills Course is not aimed at children. You need to be over 18 to attend this course, but that doesn't mean that you can't join the club and be a part of TeamKP! We'll soon be introducing a more specific ‘come and try’ program for younger people.
- Our Cycle Skills Course and club rides leave from a variety of interesting and exciting places. This means that you may need to drive to the start point. It is therefore assumed you will both have a driver’s licence and have the ability to transport your bike if the start point is more than a bike ride away.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
Our Cycle Skill Course costs $97 and includes:
- KPCC Silver Membership valued at $82 (or $77 if done online at Cycling Queensland
- Cycle Course Fee valued at $20 (this is a one-off fee to cover all four Sundays sessions)
IT SOUNDS PERFECT! HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Step one - Email us with your contact details so that we can send you our simple registration form.
You can also contact any of our friendly Course Coordinators to register or ask us for further information:
- David: email@example.com / 0418 575 444
- Jacinta: firstname.lastname@example.org / 0400 307 265
- Betty: email@example.com / 07 3207 3385
Step two - Send the completed form back to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax it to 07 3844 2889 and arrange payment.
Step three - Bring yourself, your bike, helmet, sunscreen, water bottles, etc to Murarrie on Sunday 17th March before 2.30pm. We're looking forward to meeting you!